Tuesdays and Thursdays in SSC 09.00-14.00
Monday Wednesday Friday Blackrock. 09.00-17.00
Video and Telephone consults also available where necessary.
Consultant Clinical Neurophysiologist & Consultant Physician in Sports and Exercise Medicine
• Diploma of the Canadian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology (EMG) 1998
• Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland 2001
• Dip Sports Medicine [London Hospital] 1989
• Dip Sports Medicine [Society of Apothecaries] 1991
• American Boards in Sports Medicine 1992
• Dip Sports Medicine [Combined Scottish College] 1991
• Dip Musculoskeletal Medicine [Society of Apothecaries] 1992
• Fellowship of the American College of Sports Medicine 1993
• MSc [Masters of Science] The London Hospital Medical College 1995
• Fellow of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine [UK] 2007
• Founding Fellow of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine 2003
• Consultant Clinical Neurophysiologist to National Maternity Hospital; Portiuncula and Sligo Hospitals.
• Private Practice at Sports Surgery Clinic, Blackrock Clinic, Mater Private and Bons Secours, Galway.
• Lecturer in Sports Medicine at RCSI
• American College of Sports Medicine
• American Association of Neuromuscular Disease and Electrodiagnostic Medicine
• American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
• Canadian Society of Clinical Neurophysiology
• Leonard Abrahamson medal for medicine RCSI 1986
• 1ST non-American to be certified by the American Boards in Sports Medicine
• Nova UCD Entrepreneur of the year 2006 for FITFONE invention
• FIT FONE, Patented exercise monitoring system, commercially available on the app store
• Little Black Dress, Patented weight loss system, app available on the app store
• FITFONE GOLF, Patented golf exercise monitoring system, app available on the app store
• RU-FIT, Software package for rugby fitness and injury assessment.
• ADVANCED AXONIX, Neurophysiology system core lab software system for remove EMG/NCV assessment
• Drugs, Sport and the Young Adult , Original Writing 2013
• Peripheral Nerve Disease, Erin Publication2001
• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, ABC publication 2005
• The Fitfone Book of Wellness, Raglan Publishing 2010
• MCQ`s in Sports Medicine, Butterworth Heinman 1999
• The Little Green Book of Golf Secrets, Raglan Publishing 2009
2. Incidence of rugby injury in the Leinster area, 1987-1980.
C. O’Brien. World Congress in Science and football Eindhoven May 1991
3. Prevention: A guide to rugby injuries – C. O’Brien. February 1991. Irish Rugby Review Vol.8, No.3.
4. Irish rugby fitness room for improvement.
C. O’Brien. March 1991. Irish Rugby Review Vol.8. No.4.
5. The Effects of Alcohol on Players. C. O’Brien. Rugby News, March 1991.
6. Hydration in Sports. C. O’Brien. Irish Racquets Review March 1991
7. Myositis Ossificans, Clinical Quiz. Modern Medicine of Ireland, September 1991.
8. Water Works. Rugby News. November 1991.
9. Over training in Rugby Football C. O’Brien Irish Rugby Review Vol. 9 No 2 1991
11. Shin Splints. Clinical Quiz. Modern Medicine of Ireland.
12. Over Use Injuries in Sport. C. O’Brien. Irish Medical News.
October 5th 1992.
13. Alcohol and its effect on recreational and Competitive
Sports Performance. C. O’Brien. Sports Medicine International, November 1992.
14. The Effect of Rugby Playing and Training on Lipid and Lipoprotein Profiles. C. O’Brien. The Physician and Sports Medicine, January 1993.
15. Footballer’ Ankle. C. O’Brien. The British Journal of Orthopaedic Medicine, November 1992.
16. Golf Injuries. C. O’Brien. Irish Medical News. Nov.1993
17. Incidents of Anaemia in the Irish Tennis Squad. C. O’Brien. First World Congress of Science in Tennis. Jan 1994.
18. Runner’s Diarrhoea C. O’Brien Gastroenterology In
Practice November 1993
19. Alcohol and Sport C. O’Brien Patient Management New Zealand November 1993
20. Alcohol and Sport C. O’Brien Patient Management Australia December 1993
21. The effects of regular training on lipid profiles in a rugby population.
O’Brien, JF Fielding IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
22. Iron Consumption Among A Rugby Population. O’Brien C, Fielding J IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
23. Alcohol Usage by Elite Rugby Players and Referees. O’Brien C, Fielding J IN. Sports Science and Foot Ball Spoon FN 1996
24. Fitness for Tennis. C O’Brien. Tennis Ireland, May 1991.
25. “Rugby Neck”, Cervical Degeneration in Rugby Front Rows – Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine, Vol. 6. N1 1996
26. Exercises Prescription Lessening The Risk of Physical Activity – The Journal of Cardiovascular Risk Feb 1996
27. Facet Stress Fracture In A Young Athlete
C. O’Brien , C. Williams, G. Duffy Physician & Sports Medicine August 1997
28. Exercise Prescription For Geriatric Patients Irish Hospital, C O`Brien
29. Exercise Protocol For The Elderly Patient Coronary Heart Disease September 1997, C O`Brien
30. Sports Medicine Drug Testing Results in Atlanta Confound Expectations
Hospital Doctor of Ireland Vol.2 No. 12 December 1996 C O`Brien
Irish Medical News May 1996, C O`Brien
32. Creatine use in Sport Irish Medical Times November 1998, C O`Brien
Heartwise, Spring 2000
C O`Brien, J .Peters, P Murphy, M Mulvihil, V Maher, J Barry, A Moran, T Dorley, M O`Murihurtigh
34. Position Statement of the Irish Heart Foundation on Physical Activity, IHF Web page [full text], May 2000
C O`Brien, J .Peters, P Murphy, M Mulvihil, V Maher, J Barry, A Moran, T Dorley, M O`Murihurtigh
35. Drugs in Sport – Past and Present, Irish Medical Times, April 2000, C O`Brien
36. Alcohol and the Athlete, Sports Medicine International, May 2000 Dr. Conor P.O’Brien, Frank Lyons
P. Kenny, C. O’Brien, K. Synott, M. Walsh.
3. Long-term effects of childbirth on fecal continence and pudendal nerve function.
M Eogan, C. O’Brien, M. Behan, Pr O’Connell, C. O’Herlihy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004 189(6):S72 [Abstract]. Oral presentation at 24th Annual Meeting of Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, New Orleans. February 2004
M. Eogan, C. O’Brien, D. Carolan, M. Fynes, C. O’Herlihy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004 189(6):S146 [Abstract]. Poster presentation at 24th Annual Meeting of Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine, New Orleans. February 2004
5. Pudendal Neuropathy
Letter to the editor [ 203557]; American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynacology 2003;189;1114-1119; C O Brien, C O Herlihy, R O Connell
6. A randomised clinical trial comparing the effects of delayed versus immediate pushing with epidural analgesia on mode of delivery and faecal continence.
Fitzpatrick M, Harkin R, McQuillan K, O’Brien C, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C – BJOG. 2002 Dec;109(12):1359-65.
8. Classification of pudendal neuropathy associated with postpartum faecal incontinence. O’Herlihy C, Fitzpatrick M, O’Brien C, O’Connell PR. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2002; S168:399
9. Patterns of abnormal pudendal nerve conduction associated with postpartum faecal incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2003;189(3):730-735 –
10. Faecal Continence and Pudendal Nerve Function In Older Women – Does Vaginal Delivery or Age Have the Greatest Impact? Eogan M, O’Brien C, Behan M, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C. Read by title abstract, Joint ICS/IUGA meeting. Paris 2004
11. Long-term effects of childbirth on fecal continence and pudendal nerve function Eogan M, O’Brien C, Behan M, O’Connell PR, O’Herlihy C. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 189(6):S72 [Abstract]
Am J Obstet Gynecol 2004; 189(6):S146 [Abstract]
13. Median and ulnar nerve conduction in pregnancy Eogan M, O’Brien C, Carolan D, Fynes M, O’Herlihy C. Int J Gynecol Obstet 2004;87:233-236
14. Pudendal neuropathy is best determined by full neurophysiologic assessment.
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Nov;191(5):1836
Forum Journal of the Irish College of General Practitioners. Vol 24. No6. 6 June 2007
The North Dublin Geriatric Society September 1988.
Neuroscience Society of Dublin Beaumont Hospital May 1989.
• The health benefits of sport and exercise.
ABC Master Class Blackrock Clinic March 1990.
Second World Congress in Football and Science Eindhoven May 1991
• Injury Prevention – Blackrock College Sport Medicine Meeting, August1991.
The London Hospital Clinical Sports Medicine Meeting May 1992
• Lecturing to Academic General Practitioner Groups on Injection Techniques
September 1992 to February 1993. (Glaxo Sponsored).
• Rugby injuries in Ireland “Alcohol a preventable cause”
Varsity Sport injuries Meeting Middlesex Hospital ,December 4th 1993 (Howmedica Sponsored)
• Exercise Prescription for Primary and Secondary prevention of Heart Disease
International Conference on Cardiac Disease and Sports Participation. Beaumont Hospital ,Dublin April 1994, Belfast City Hospital, Belfast June 1994, Grand Rounds, Washington University, Seattle Washington, USA, Sept. 1994
• Injection therapy for Musculoskeletal injury, “methods and practice”
Grand Rounds, Washington University ,Seattle Washington, USA, May 1995
Grand Rounds, Washington University Seattle Washington USA, June 16th 1997
• The “In Season” And “Out Season” Lipid Profiles Of A Group Of Rugby Union Players
Athletes Irish Hyperlipadeamia Society Christ Church, Dublin, Dec 6th 1996.
February 1997 Rotunda Hospital. Symposium: Incontinence.
• EMG of the Pelvic Floor
October 1997, Holles Street Hospital. Symposium on Faecal Incontinence post-partum.
• Beaumont Product Unit a means for prescribing exercise in phase 4 of a cardiac rehabilitation program
European Cardiac Rehabilitation Society, Hungary May 1999
Irish Leisure and Amenities Association Annual Conference Westport October 2000
• Drugs in Sport Past, Present and Future
Irish Association of Clinical Biochemists October 2000 Belfast
January – December 2000, a series of 10 lectures to Clinical Societies
• Fecal Incontinence: the Role of QEMG – The Irish Experience
October 2002 – AAEM Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
February and November 2000-2004
• Pelvic Nerve Assessment – Royal College of Obs & Gynae London 2005
• Pudendal Nerve Screening – AAEM October 2006;Washington DC USA
Irish Society of Gastroenterology.O Reilly Hall UCD ; Dublin Nov 2006
• Fitfone Nova – UCD finalist presentation – 1st place November 2006 Dublin
• Stingers and Burners – SSC Clinical Meeting for General Practitioners, SSC Santry September 2012
Click here to download Ethical Guidelines for the Practice of Sports and Exercise Medicine
Click here to download guiude to Neurophysiological Testing of the Pelvic Floor
Click to download informmation on TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME