Dr Sheane is a medical graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. He completed an MD research fellowship at St James’s Hospital/Trinity College between 2007 and 2010, examining novel risk factors and correlates for cardiovascular disease in inflammatory arthritis. He established the Early Arthritis Clinic at St James’s Hospital to eliminate delays in assessing and treating patients with potentially deforming and disabling forms of arthritis. He pioneered the Smoking Cessation Incentives Programme, an education-based patient-centred course involving a multidisciplinary team to encourage and assist patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis to quit smoking.
He was awarded the Bresnihan-Molloy International Education Fellowship award through the RCPI in 2012 and began a two-year clinical research fellowship in both the Lupus and Psoriatic Arthritis programmes with the University of Toronto under the tutelage of Dr Murray B Urowitz and Dr Dafna Gladman, both international leaders in their fields.
Dr Sheane returned to Ireland in 2014 to establish a patient-centred Rheumatology service at UPMC Sports Surgery Clinic. More recently he has also been working with Prof Conor McCarthy in the Mater Private Hospital. He remains actively involved in teaching both the medical and lay communities via seminars, online publications/forums and Arthritis Ireland. He was elected as a Fellow to both the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland and the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine in 2020.
He has a broad range of interests across the field of Rheumatology, with sub-specialty expertise in psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthritis, lupus and osteoarthritis.
Clinical Research Fellowship, University of Toronto Lupus Program & Psoriatic Arthritis Program
Centre for Prognosis Studies in the Rheumatic Diseases, Toronto Western Hospital, Canada (2012 – 2014)
Rheumatology Clinical Research Fellowship
St James’s Hospital/Trinity College Dublin (2007 – 2010)
Higher Specialty Training in Rheumatology
Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2008 – 2014)
MD (research doctorate), Trinity College Dublin (2016)
MRCPI, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2006)
MB BCh BAO, Trinity College Dublin (2002)
Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of Ireland (2020)
Fellow, Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine (RCPI & RCSI; 2020)
Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OARSI) member
Group for Research and Assessment of Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis (GRAPPA) member
American College of Rheumatology (ACR) member
Irish Medical Council
Geoff Carr Lupus Fellowship award, Lupus Ontario (2012)
Bresnihan-Molloy International Education Fellowship award, RCPI (2012-2014)
• Tselios K, Gladman DD, Sheane BJ, Su J, Urowitz M. All-cause, cause-specific and age-specific standardised mortality ratios of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus in Ontario, Canada over 43 years (1971-2013). Ann Rheum Dis 2019;78(6):802-806. (PubMed PMID: 30992296)
• Sheane BJ. Psoriatic arthritis – therapeutic options and treatment targets. Update 2017;3(7):14-16.
• Sheane BJ, Gladman DD, Su J, Urowitz MB. Disease outcomes in corticosteroid-naïve patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2017;69(2):252-256. (PubMed PMID: 27214378)
• Maldonado-Ficco H, Sheane BJ, Thavaneswaran A, Chandran V, Gladman DD. Magnetic resonance imaging in psoriatic arthritis. A descriptive study of indications, features and effect on treatment change. J Clin Rheumatol 2017;23(5):243-245. (PubMed PMID: 28700527)
• Sheane BJ. Osteoarthritis – current treatment options and a glimpse of the future. Update 2016;2(4):16-20.
• Sheane BJ, Thavaneswaran A, Gladman DD, Chandran V. Attainment of minimal
disease activity using methotrexate in psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol 2016;43(9):1718-1723.
(PubMed PMID: 27422895)
• Tselios K, Sheane BJ, Gladman DD, Urowitz MB. Optimal monitoring for coronary heart disease risk in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: a systematic review. J Rheumatol 2016;43(1):54-65. (PubMed PMID: 26568591)
• Sheane BJ. Dual training in general internal medicine and rheumatology: the Irish context. Ann Rheum Dis 2015;74(9):e55. (PubMed PMID: 25948595)
• Sheane BJ, Smyth P, Scott K, Aziz R, Buckley M, Lodge E, Kiely N, Kingston M, McGovern E, Healy M, Walsh JB, Sheils O, Cunnane G. An association between microRNA-21 expression and vitamin D deficiency in coronary artery disease. MicroRNA 2015;4(1):57-63. (PubMed PMID: 25882990)
• Sheane BJ, Ibanez D, Gladman DD, Urowitz MB. Lupus patients requiring first corticosteroid intervention late in disease course – a phenotypic description [abstract]. Arthritis Rheumatol 2014;66(11)Suppl:301.
• Sheane BJ. Tumor necrosis factor inhibition and adipose tissue distribution – are reported changes relevant to cardiometabolic risk? J Rheumatol 2014;41(6):1035-1037. (PubMed PMID: 24882846)
• Sheane BJ, Chandran V. Investigational drugs for treating psoriatic arthritis. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2014;23(7):1001-1016 Apr 23. (PubMed PMID: 24758276)
• Sheane BJ, Chandran V. The future of treatment for psoriatic arthritis. Int J Clin Rheumatol 2014;9(1):59-71. (doi:10.2217/ijr.13.69)
• Foley D, Browne JE, Zhuang X, Sheane B, O’Driscoll D, Cannon D, et al. The utility of deformable image registration for small artery visualisation in contrast-enhanced whole body MR angiography. Physica medica 2014;30(8):898-908. (PubMed PMID: 25182374)
• Sheane BJ, Urowitz MB, Gladman DD. Atherosclerosis in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus – Epidemiology, Risk Factors, Subclinical Assessment and Future Study. Rheumatol Curr Res 2013; S5:004. (doi:10.4172/2161-1149.S5-004)
• Sheane BJ, Thavaneswaran A, Gladman DD, Chandran V. Changes in weight associated with tumour necrosis factor inhibition in psoriatic arthritis [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2013;65 Suppl 10:333.
• Sheane BJ, Ibanez D, Gladman DD, Urowitz MB. The accrual of damage in corticosteroid-naïve patients with systemic lupus erythematosus [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2013;65 Suppl 10:1582.
• Sheane BJ, Ibanez D, Gladman DD, Urowitz MB. Causes of mortality in lupus patients followed prospectively at a large single-centre lupus clinic [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2013;65 Suppl 10:614.
• Murphy CL, Sheane B, Durcan L, O’Shea FD, Doran M, Cunnane G. Benefits of pre-referral preparation for rheumatology clinics. Ir Med J 2013;106(9):275-277. (PubMed PMID: 24416850)
• Sheane BJ, Dunne R, Scott K, Hall M, et al. Association between low vitamin D levels and indicators of osteoporosis and atherosclerosis [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2012;64 Suppl 10:1258.
• Sheane BJ, Dunne R, Scott K, Hall M, et al. Association between subclinical atherosclerosis and bone mineral density in rheumatoid arthritis [abstract]. Arthritis Rheum 2012;64 Suppl 10:1259.
• Murphy CL, Sheane BJ, Cunnane G. Attitudes towards exercise in patients with chronic disease: the influence of comorbid factors on motivation and ability to exercise. Postgrad Med J 2011;87(1024):96-1000. (PubMed PMID: 21303819)
• Machado P, Castrejon I, Katchamart W, Koevoets R, Kuriya B, Schoels M, Silva-Fernández L, Thevissen K, Vercoutere W, Villeneuve E, Aletaha D, Carmona L, Landewé R, van der Heijde D, Bijlsma JW, Bykerk V, Canhão H, Catrina AI, Durez P, Edwards CJ, Mjaavatten MD, Leeb BF, Losada B, Martín-Mola EM, Martinez-Osuna P, Montecucco C, Müller-Ladner U, Østergaard M, Sheane B, Xavier RM, Zochling J, Bombardier C. Multinational evidence-based recommendations on how to investigate and follow-up undifferentiated peripheral inflammatory arthritis: integrating systematic literature research and expert opinion of a broad international panel of rheumatologists in the 3E Initiative. Ann Rheum Dis 2011;70(1):15-24. (PubMed PMID: 20724311)
• Sheane BJ, Beddy P, O’Connor M, Miller S, Cunnane G. Targeted ultrasound of the fifth metatarsophalangeal joint in an early inflammatory arthritis cohort. Arthritis Rheum 2009;61(7):1004-8. (PubMed PMID: 19565551)
• Bacon CL, Daly P, Sheane B, Conneally EC, Browne PV, McCann S, Ni Chonaghaile M, O’Briain DS, McDermott R, Hollywood D, Wilson G, Vandenberghe E. Successful outcome of patients with relapsed/refractory Hodgkin lymphoma with high dose chemotherapy at the National Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at St. James’s Hospital. Ir Med J 2009;102(1):268. (PubMed PMID: 19284016)
• Sheane BJ, Delaney H, Doran MF, Cunnane G. A classical presentation of Paget disease of bone. J Clin Rheumatol 2008;14(6):373. (PubMed PMID: 19060670)
• McCarthy EM, Sheane BJ, Cunnane G. Greater focus on clinical rheumatology is required for training in internal medicine. Clin Rheumatol 2009;28(2):139-43. (PubMed PMID: 18766425)
• Sheane BJ, Doyle F, Doyle C, O’Loughlin C, Howard D, Cunnane G. Sub-optimal pain control in patients with rheumatic disease. Clin Rheumatol 2008;27(8):1029-33. (PubMed PMID: 18509716)
• Sheane BJ, Howard D, Doran MF, Cunnane G. Link between tumor necrosis factor inhibitors and onset of uveitis: comment on the article by Lim et al. Arthritis Rheum 2008;58(5):1554; author reply 1556-7. (PubMed PMID: 18438831)
• Sheane BJ, Cunnane G. Tophaceous gout and chronic kidney disease. J Clin Rheumatol 2007;13(5):293. (PubMed PMID: 17921803)