Dr Cosgrave is one of Ireland’s most prominent consultants in Sports & Exercise Medicine. He specialises in the management of pain and injury in patients of all ages and all levels of activity.
He is currently the doctor for the Irish Senior Rugby Team and has held similar positions with the British & Irish Lions, Liverpool Football Club and Leinster Rugby. He joined the Sports Surgery Clinic in 2013 having completed his consultancy training in Liverpool.
Dr Cosgrave graduated in medicine from Queen’s University Belfast in 2004 and has an MSc in Sports & exercise medicine from Trinity College Dublin. He also has qualifications in Sports psychology and Medical education. He has been an active member of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine since 2015 and is currently the Chair of the Education committee.
Dr Cosgrave has a wealth of experience in elite sport. In addition to his experience in rugby and soccer, he has also worked in basketball, karate, judo, athletics and at the Olympic Games. At Sports Surgery Clinic he works closely with athletes and coaches on injury prevention and performance enhancement.
He has a particular interest in managing concussion and in ultrasound-guided injections of joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments and the spine.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, Bachelor of Obstetrics (MB, BCh, BAO), Queen’s University Belfast, 2004
- Masters in Sports & Exercise Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, 2007
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians, 2009
- Diploma in Sports & Exercise Medicine (Edinburgh), 2010
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sport & Exercise Medicine (UK), 2013
- Fellow of the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine ( IRL) 2015
- Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education, Edge Hill University, 2012
- Postgraduate Certificate in Sports Psychology, Liverpool John Moore’s University, 2013
- British & Irish Lions 2021
- IRFU, 2016-Current
- Leinster Rugby, 2014-2016
- Liverpool Football Club, 2011-2013
- London Olympic and Paralympic Games, 2012
- Team GB Athletics, 2012
- Mersey Tigers Basketball, 2009-2011
- Ulster Karate Association, 2005-2013
- London and Liverpool Marathon, 2011-2013
- Northern Ireland Youth Football teams, 2007-2012
- UK School Games 2011
- Irish Youth Olympic squad, Belgrade 2007
- Irish Inter-Varsities Rugby, 2007
- Irish Judo Team, 2006
- Irish Inter-Varsities Judo Champion, 2000-2007
- Competed in Judo at the Youth Olympic Games, 1997