Gavin is originally from Tyrone where he completed grammar school at the Christian Brothers in Omagh and obviously maintains a high level of support for his native county’s GAA achievements. He then completed his undergraduate training in Trinity College Dublin and subsequently his internship in the AMNCH Tallaght.
He went on to Basic Surgical Training in general surgery, orthopaedic surgery, vascular surgery & plastic surgery in 2003-2005 and at this point realised his interest lay in the field of orthopaedics. He completed his Doctor of Medicine thesis in 2006 – 2008 and worked as Clinical Tutor in both the Royal College of Surgeons & the Health & Human Performance Department in Dublin City University at this time.
He entered Higher Surgical training in Trauma & Orthopaedic surgery in 2009 – 2015 and this included a year’s Fellowship training in Christchurch, New Zealand.
He is married with two children. Apart from spending time with his family, his hobbies include weight training, hiking, cycling & skiing and he has travelled extensively throughout Europe, North & South America, Africa, Asia & Australasia.
Gavin is committed to providing the highest level of care for his patients in a friendly and down to earth manner. Whilst his areas of interest include soft tissue knee reconstruction and Hip and Knee Arthroplasty, he is particularly interested in knee navigation for both unicondylar (partial) and Total Knee Replacements.
- Primary, complex primary & revision Total Knee Arthroplasty
- Unicondylar knee replacement
- Patellofemoral joint disorders & replacement
- Knee arthroscopy & ligament reconstruction
- Primary, complex primary & revision Hip Arthroplasty
- MB BCh BAO BA: Trinity College Dublin 2002
- Diploma in Sports & Exercise Medicine: 2007
- Doctor of Medicine (MD): University College Dublin 2011. The role of Prehabilitation on the outcome of Total Knee Arthroplasty.
- FRCS (Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery): September 2013
- Fellowship Training: Christchurch, New Zealand 2014-2015 – Soft tissue knee reconstruction & lower limb arthroplasty