Brian Devitt is an internationally trained orthopaedic surgeon with subspecialty expertise in knee surgery. He has a particular interest in sporting injuries including anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction, meniscal repair, cartilage restoration procedures, multi-ligamentous knee reconstruction and hamstring repair. In addition, he cares for patients with degenerative conditions, such as knee arthritis, and performs partial and total knee replacements as well as osteotomies.
Brian completed his medical school training at University College Dublin, Ireland, and carried out his specialist training in Trauma & Orthopaedics at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. He also achieved a Masters in Sports and Exercise Medicine. Brian chose to pursue a career in academic orthopaedic sports surgery, and carried out three years of fellowship training. The first year was a research fellowship at the Steadman Philippon Research Institute. He then carried out a clinical fellowship at the University of Toronto in sports surgery. Finally, he completed two clinical fellowships in Melbourne; the first was a knee reconstruction fellowship at OrthoSport Victoria (OSV) and the second a fellowship at Hip Arthroscopy Australia. Following his fellowship, Brian worked as a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at OSV and Epworth Healthcare.
Brian has a keen interest in research and is Full Professor and Chair of Orthopaedics and Surgical Biomechanics at Dublin City University. He has extensive research experience with a specific focus on clinical outcomes studies and biomechanical studies. He has published widely and speaks frequently at national and international meetings.
Professor Brian M Devitt
Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon – Knee Specialist
Sports knee injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament tears
- Posterior Cruciate Ligament tears
- Complex multi-ligamentous injury
- Patellar dislocation
- Meniscal tears
- Cartilage damage
Muscle and tendon injuries
- Hamstring tears and avulsions
- Quadriceps injury
Degenerative knee conditions
- Knee osteotomies
- Partial knee replacement
- Total knee replacement
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any patient queries. I look forward to working with you
- MRCSI Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- MB BCh BAO University College Dublin
- MMedSc University College Cork
- Masters in sports and exercise Medicine
- Medical Doctorate MD University College Dublin
- Medical doctorate awarded by thesis
- Diploma in Management Westmoreland Institute, Dublin
- Diploma in healthcare management
- FRCSI Trauma & Orthopaedics Board Certification Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
- FFSEM Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland and Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
- Fellowship of the Faculty of Sports & Exercise Medicine
- FRACS Orthopaedics Australian Board Certification Royal Australian College of Surgeons
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Doctor of Philosophy La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia
- Aetiology, diagnosis, and treatment of Anterolateral Rotatory Laxity of the Knee
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS),
- Magellan Society, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery (AAOS),
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RSCI),
- European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA),
- Australian Knee Society (AKS), Australian Orthopaedic Association (AOA),
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) Study Group.
Brian is Full Professor and Chair of Orthopaedics and Surgical Biomechanics. This is a jointly-appointed post which is based within the School of Health and Human Performance, Faculty of Science and Health and with close affiliations with the School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering and Insight SFI Research Centre for Data Analytics.
Brian’s list of research publications, book chapters and books are available here.